A healthy lifestyle during your day at work is so important to your productivity and your life outside of work. Having healthy habits at work creates a healthy mindset and environment, increases energy and clarity, and improves your mood, which results in healthy relationships with co-workers.
Say goodbye to afternoon energy slumps, overeating, dehydration, body aches and even poor sleep at night. The benefit of making small changes in your habits during the day well out weighs giving into your cravings, and the convenience of sugary and processed foods. Taking time to get away from your desk, clear your mind and get your body moving is just as important as your nutrition.
Don’t overwhelm yourself by trying to change all your unhealthy habits at once. SMALL CHANGES over time add up to BIG HEALTH RESULTS! Here are some easy tips to incorporate into your workday:
- Eat whole foods — Complex carbs (whole grains), fruits, and healthy fats like nuts help keep a steady blood sugar and satisfy hunger longer and give us a steady flow of energy:
- Complex carbs — whole grains like oatmeal, popcorn, unprocessed whole wheat and brown rice products.
- Yogurt — see “The Skinny On Yogurt” blog article below.
- Nuts and fruit — snack on them together for a satisfying sweet –n- savory treat.
- Hummus and black bean chips
- All natural cheese and crackers — use whole grain crackers (brown rice, unbleached wheat, or almond based).
- Organic almond butter or PB&J on whole grain bread or crackers.
- Greens — Spinach gives you a balanced of protein, fiber and phytonutrients.
- Googl e “e asy healthy snacks” for more ideas and be creative!
- Drink water throughout the day.
- Get a green juice from the juice bar.
- Get a walking buddy! Schedule time on your calendar each day for two or three 5 –10 minute walks.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Pause througho ut your day to take some deep breaths and do some stretches at your desk.
Developing healthy habits doesn’t have to be boring or complicated. Get a friend or group at work to join you in making SMALL CHANGES. Start a healthy snack movement that everyone participates by bringing in healthy snacks to share. Support one another and focus on the resulting health benefits. Just think, if you practice healthy habits daily then you can splurge on those holiday treats that are coming soon without feeling guilty!